Just about every homeowner has battled pesky ant invasions at least once. Though they are not dangerous in most cases, ants are unsightly and unsanitary as well as tough to get rid of. Here are some ideas for how to get rid of ants.
Of course, the easiest way to deal with ants is to prevent them coming in the house in the first place.
- First, clean your home carefully. Look for dropped bits of food or sweets in places you don’t regularly clean, such as behind appliances.
- If you have tempting items such as honey or a sugar jar that attract ants, clean the container thoroughly and then store it in a container that has a little water in the bottom.
- Keep your floors clean, especially in the summer time and especially if the room includes a door that leads outside.
Many strong-tasting food items that we humans love can help keep ants from entering your home. These are deterrents, not insecticides.
- You can spray pure lemon juice in the area where ants are coming in. Remember, though, that lemon juice is a bleaching agent, so don’t spray it on fabrics.
- Some people sprinkle ground cinnamon or cloves right in the ants’ path. Essential oils are another option.
Many homeowners prefer to create their own natural concoctions.
- Borax, water, and sugar mixed into a paste can keep the ants at bay.
- Dish soap and water sprayed directly onto ants can kill them.
- Baking soda and powdered sugar set in small containers around the house is a safe way to kill the pests.
You can also try items you might already have around the house.
- Try sprinkling diatomaceous earth around the perimeter of your home.
- Chalk is said to be another barrier to passage for ants. Draw a thick line where they seem to be entering the house.
- Coffee grounds applied to their pathways or in cracks where they are getting in can force them to find a new home.
The most basic of deterrents, it can be used to clean your home or applied directly to the ant hill that seems to be the source of your visitors.
Ants are creative and annoying pests. Try some of these natural solutions to keep them at bay, but if you still want the help of a professional, call the team at Planet Orange for more information.